Re: OT: Flat flared hairpins

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: OT: Flat flared hairpins
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2018 15:56:59 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden>
To: "Andrew Bernard" <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, December 31, 2018 3:15 PM
Subject: Re: Flat flared hairpins

On Tue, 1 Jan 2019, Andrew Bernard wrote:
American floors: 11 12 14 15
English floors: 11 12 13 14

I saw this a lot when I worked in new York.

I think this custom has persisted in the USA because large buildings need
to have "mechanical" or "service" floors not directly visited by the
regular occupants, and if you're going to have the elevator skip a floor
anyway, you might choose it to be the one with a number some people want
to avoid.  In East Asia, where the number 4 is similarly considered
unlucky, the number 4 is sometimes skipped - and I've even seen a building
where the floor numbering skipped both 4 and 13.

--
Matthew Skala
address@hidden                 People before tribes.

I think I'll start a language called "Lucky C", where array elements 4 and 13 don't exist.

--
Phil Holmes