Re: synchronization of feathered beams

From: Reggie
Subject: Re: synchronization of feathered beams
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 11:25:11 -0700 (MST)

Thomas Morley-2 wrote
> \featherDurations changes durations, nothing more!! It does not change
> spacing on it's own.
> The changed spacing is more a side-effect. Doing note-spacing is a
> very involved process, durations are only one element of the
> calculation.
>
> So I ensure you \featherDuarations will _always_ affect the
> _durations_ of it's argument, though, whether the resulting spacing is
> really what you desire? Probably/likely/sometimes not.
>
>> I wouldn't even know how to make this function besides. Sorry.
>
> Well, there are some good coders on the list ;)
> Not sure, if I'll have the time to give it a try ...
>
> Cheers,
>   Harm

Harm this is very important you just solved the mystery :)) Sort of. It
sounds like you just admitted that the spacing out of feather beamed
duration notes is not always going to work correctly, but the durations
themselves WILL. Well, according to Gould, it's pretty obvious that feather
beams need to be spaced out according to the tempo of the feathers, always.
So, there's no way in LilyPond as of today function wise that simply put
makes feather beams spaced out correctly according to standard engraving
rules. Wow.

I would hope beg love for someone to write a function that simply put spaced
out notes according to the speed of the feathers. Finale Sibelius do this
for years now. Hack yes but doable every time it works. What's LilyPond work
around for this? Assume you want to engrave correctly and have your feather
beams spaced out as they slow or speeden up, how can you do it? manually
tweak space between notes it seems? Yikes :))

Do you think it's even possible to write a function to automatically space
according to the feather beam length and duration?