Re: synchronization of feathered beams

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: synchronization of feathered beams
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 21:14:07 +0100

Am Fr., 21. Dez. 2018 um 19:26 Uhr schrieb Reggie <address@hidden>:

> Thomas Morley-2 wrote
> > \featherDurations changes durations, nothing more!! It does not change
> > spacing on it's own.
> > The changed spacing is more a side-effect. Doing note-spacing is a
> > very involved process, durations are only one element of the
> > calculation.
> >
> > So I ensure you \featherDuarations will _always_ affect the
> > _durations_ of it's argument, though, whether the resulting spacing is
> > really what you desire? Probably/likely/sometimes not.
> >
> >> I wouldn't even know how to make this function besides. Sorry.
> >
> > Well, there are some good coders on the list ;)
> > Not sure, if I'll have the time to give it a try ...
> >
> > Cheers,
> >   Harm

> Harm this is very important you just solved the mystery :)) Sort of. It
> sounds like you just admitted that the spacing out of feather beamed
> duration notes is not always going to work correctly,

Nah, I tried to explain how featherDurations works, nothing else, (and
I may very well be corrected by others with deeper knowledge).

Durations are modified.
The spacing is tackled by the spacing engine, which needs to look at a
plethora of things, surely, among them are durations, but that's not
all...

As an example.
Say you have 4 16th.
Should they be spaced equally? I'd say, depends...

You can't do it equal here:
{
  \set fingeringOrientations = #'(left)
  \set stringNumberOrientations = #'(left)
  <d''>16 <d''-1\2> q q
}

And what's "correctly"?

Admittedly Gould is a strong argument. But in my experience every
other day a user shines up here wanting to do things _(s)he_ likes it
and not like any reference book.

> but the durations
> themselves WILL. Well, according to Gould, it's pretty obvious that feather
> beams need to be spaced out according to the tempo of the feathers, always.
> So, there's no way in LilyPond as of today function wise that simply put
> makes feather beams spaced out correctly according to standard engraving
> rules. Wow.
>
> I would hope beg love for someone to write a function that simply put spaced
> out notes according to the speed of the feathers. Finale Sibelius do this
> for years now. Hack yes but doable every time it works. What's LilyPond work
> around for this? Assume you want to engrave correctly and have your feather
> beams spaced out as they slow or speeden up, how can you do it? manually
> tweak space between notes it seems? Yikes :))
>
> Do you think it's even possible to write a function to automatically space
> according to the feather beam length and duration?

As said, likely it's possible.
Speaking only for myself, I doubt I've the time to try.

Cheers,
  Harm