Re: Music-function "arguments" - help

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Music-function "arguments" - help
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2018 02:31:11 +0100

Am 7. Dezember 2018 01:46:00 MEZ schrieb David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
>mansouraoun <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm still quite a beginner in Lilypond and as much as I'm liking how
>much
>> customisable is its notation capabilities, understanding it is
>driving me
>> crazy because sometimes I can pass more than 4 or 5 hours reading
>manuals
>> and blogposts without reaching a simple answer to a simple question.
>>
>> My current problem is that I'm learning how to write a music function
>yet
>> there's this mysterious element in it "nth argument" that I can't
>quite
>> understand.
>
>That's just a shorthand for "the argument at position n", a
>generalization of "1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th"...
>
>> I understood all the other elements: the function syntax and how
>> parser and location should be copied literally, the predicate type
>and
>> the body. In this blogpost for example
>> https://lilypondblog.org/2015/04/defining-a-music-function/
>> <https://lilypondblog.org/2015/04/defining-a-music-function/> Urs
>> Liska demonstrates how to create a simple function. In his/her
>> example,

his.

 the nth argument is "my-color". In other examples the
>> argument is "paddingHorizontal", or "paddingVertical", or just
>> "padding". I searched for hours for a list of those arguments to see
>> which one I should use for my need and yet I can't find it anywhere.

Maybe https://scheme-book.ursliska.de can give you further insight. It's far
from complete and I can't guarantee everything's correct. But I've explicitly
tried to address  the sort of slow-paced explanations the LilyPond manuals
can't afford.

Urs