Re: \consists terminology

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: \consists terminology
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 05:29:05 -0700

On 2018-06-15 03:29, David Kastrup wrote:
Flaming Hakama by Elaine <address@hidden> writes:
On Fri, Jun 15, 2018, 1:42 AM David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
Sorry, this is not going at all in the direction you were aiming for
but from a purely technical standpoint getting rid of \remove would
be a much more worthwhile target than junking \consists , and
\unconsists or something of similar awkwardness would be a lot less
problematic as a newcomer than something as generic as \add .

Quite the contrary. This is helping to elucidate what's actually going
on, and I suspect a more descriptive terminology may result.

The less descriptive terminology has the advantage that it does not come
as preloaded with precise but incorrect preconceptions.

<sarcasm>Why not call it `\xyzzy` then?</sarcasm>

I would debate that preconceptions are the lesser evil when stacked up against the potential of undescriptive and/or misleading terms. If the terminology is not clear enough, then it is significantly harder to correct or override a preconception. Of course, we should avoid cluttering the user experience with all of the gory details of the underlying mechanisms; but if folks are uncomfortable with the casual reading of `\consists`, then it would seem that it is a poor word choice indeed.

It truly is a shame that `\with` is already used, as the pair of `\with` and `\without` could be a great way to succinctly state the relationship in this scenario. Perhaps `\including` and `\excluding` could work, but then...

`\consists` seems to imply aggregation or possibly even containment. This sounds like one of the incorrect preconceptions we are wanting to avoid, since it is my understanding that the associated engravers, et al. are *not* to be considered an element of the context that `\consists` them. Rather, they co-exist and work along side during the process. So, `\including` might even be overstating the relationship here. (Mind you, the confusion between `\including` and `\include` would be more than enough to disqualify it anyway.)

Could `\recognizes` and `\ignores` work? These words, again, do not imply any form of ownership, rather are hinting more at some form of permission, granting a translator to do its work within that context. I would have suggested `\allows` and `\denies` as simpler words, but the latter already exists along with its pair `\accepts`. Oh, but now a crazy thought... Could overloading those existing terms work? That is, would LilyPond be able to tell the difference between `\accepts "SomeContext"` vs. `\accepts "SomeEngraver"`? If so, then we could potentially throw away both `\consists` and `\remove`.

Finally, what about `\with` becoming `\where`? It reads just as plainly, and would free up the term if we wanted to opt for `\with` and `\without` as opposed to `\consists` and `\remove`.

-- Aaron Hill