Re: Need someone testing XML file in Finale and Sibelius (and Dorico)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Need someone testing XML file in Finale and Sibelius (and Dorico)
Date: Sat, 5 May 2018 09:41:23 +0200

Hi Robert,

thanks for testing. Given that I'm not interested in the *looks* of it this is what I hoped to get :-)

Thanks
Urs

Am 05.05.2018 um 09:38 schrieb Robert Blackstone:
Hi Urs,

This is what your file produces with Finale 2024.5, on a MacBook with OSX 10.9.5.

(I should have compressed it a bit.)

Best regards,

Robert Blackstone

Hi,

I'm trying to add support to python-ly for exporting manual beams to MusicXML.

I managed to export the commands to start and end a beam, but that's not sufficient. In theory (https://usermanuals.musicxml.com/MusicXML/Content/EL-MusicXML-beam.htm) the beaming pattern is described in detail in MusicXML, and when I export something from MuseScore this is also what I get.

I don't see it as reasonable to properly implement this in the python-ly exporter (at least for now) because that would essentially mean re-implementing the whole beaming-pattern code from LilyPond (which even isn't fully correct either).

However, I realized that when I have the beam start and end encoded by python-ly and then (so far manually) add

        <beam number="1">continue</beam>

to each note, regardless of the actual beaming pattern situation, MuseScore will correctly import the XML file (and add the correct encoding when re-exporting to XML).

While I know this is not a correct export I think it would be a good start and in any case better than nothing. But I would like to know what the other programs will do with the code.

So I'd be happy if people could import the attached .xml file to Finale, Sibelius and (if possible) Dorico, and tell me about the results. Also attached is the reference image of what it should look like.
(Note that the .xml is manually tweaked at this point).

TIA
Urs

lilypond-user mailing list
address@hidden