Re: Intervals enharmony question

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Intervals enharmony question
Date: Thu, 3 May 2018 19:48:22 -0400

Hi Wols,

> It's not *possible* to tune a brass instrument to equal temperament -
> it has at max 5 tuning slides to tune 12 pitches and
> typically about 40 notes!

Perhaps you ran (are running) into a semantic conflict?

I notice there are many [civil and educated] discussions on trumpet and horn
forums (mailing lists, etc.) about how to deal with equal and just
temperaments, which to use in auditions [!!], etc. Are they all mistaken?

I didn’t get that far into trumpet playing — I switched to trombone as soon as
I could, because it better suited my embouchure — but I got far enough to
realize that I could do a *lot* of "tuning" with those limited valves and
slides. Based on that experience, I feel sure that if I got [a lot?] better, I
would be able to play in equal or just temperament, as desired.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info