Re: Slurs do not work with Larsen articulations

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Slurs do not work with Larsen articulations
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 19:32:58 +0000

From: Evan Driscoll <address@hidden>
Date: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at 12:42 PM
To: Carl Sorensen <address@hidden>

That sounds good to me.

Thanks for the feedback.

In case it's not clear, my pseudo-objection to the wording

+Note that @code{[} and @code{]} do not enclose the notes to be
+slurred.

is that the ( and ) literally *do* enclose the notes that are slurred, except for the first. I get that the intent seems somehow different between 'a( b c)' and '(a b c)' in terms of what the parens mean, but the 'b' and 'c' still are enclosed by the parens even in the LilyPond syntax.

Since they only enclose *all but the first* note of the slur, they don’t enclose the notes to be slurred.

a b ( c d ) will not put a slur encompassing c and d, but encompassing b, c, and d.  That is the primary mistake that newcomers make.

But the wording that you helped me to see is probably clearer, so I will certainly go with that.

Thanks,

Carl