Re: Lilypond <-> Sibelius

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Lilypond <-> Sibelius
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2018 15:16:27 -0700

On 2018-04-22 14:22, David Kastrup wrote:
Martin Tarenskeen <address@hidden> writes:

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018, David Kastrup wrote:

Martin Tarenskeen <address@hidden> writes:

Adobe, Microsoft, Avid...too many to count.

Clever indeed.

In an evil way.

Let's not forget creating and selling software is a tough
business. These companies all need to survive against the competition
and they need to make some serious money. By selling good
products. And by being clever and/or evil. Otherwise they will die.

The fundamental difference to drug dealing being?

Good question.

Adobe, Microsoft, Avid are "clever in an evil way" but they make
products that are most of the time relatively harmless, and often
quite useful.

How would you know?  Have you read the 20+ pages of the Windows 10
privacy agreement?  Or do you just assume?

I thought you may have been a little hyperbolic, so I checked Microsoft's web site for their current service agreement and privacy statements.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/servicesagreement - ~16 pages
https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement - ~57 pages

To be fair, the font size and margins are pretty generous, so there is some inflation. Also, the privacy statement, when printed, includes all of the product-specific details inline, which is the main contributing factor in its size.

But still, that is a lot of information to crunch, even for someone who is determined. There is virtually no hope for the average consumer out there.

P.S. It is only my intent to provide some hard details here, not to fan any flames. The general discussion of FLOSS vs. proprietary is obviously an important one, though I would wonder if this mailing list is the right venue. Of course, I am new here, so feel free to disregard. :)

-- Aaron Hill