Re: midi volume: default, crescendo, dynamic context, multiple staff

From: Gianmaria Lari
Subject: Re: midi volume: default, crescendo, dynamic context, multiple staff
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 14:12:39 +0100

If I do this...

\version "2.19.48"
{ c' }
\midi { }

...and open the resulting MIDI file in SpeedyMidi (
http://speedymidi.sourceforge.net/ ) it looks like LilyPond set the
volume to 100. (MIDI allows 0 - 128, right?)

I tried to do the same with speedmidi and some other midi viewer/editor. I think the volume 100 indicated in speedmidi is something different.
For what I understood checking the midi file generated by lilypond, when you apply dynamic to a note this acts on the velocify field of the "Note on" event.

> Is it possible to specify some dynamics just once and apply it to
> multiple staff?

I don't know about dynamic marks affecting volume or separate dynamics
contexts affecting output. All I can do is refer to documentation:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/controlling-midi-dynamics.en.html

But a dynamics _expression_ can be reused anywhere.

\version "2.19.48"
% Dynamics defined here
dyn = { s4\f\> s4 s4 s4\p\! }

\score {
   \new ChoirStaff <<
     % First use of dynamics
     \new Dynamics { \dyn }
     \new Staff = "SA" \relative {
       c' d e f
     }
     \new Staff = "TB" \relative {
       \clef bass
       a, b c d
     }
     % Second use of dynamics
     \new Dynamics { \dyn }

   \midi { }
}

Yes, you can apply the same dynamic to different part of the score like you did in the example but this does not affect the midi output, just the music layout.
Thank you, g.