Re: Potential improvements to the homepage?

From: David Pirotte
Subject: Re: Potential improvements to the homepage?
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 19:00:24 -0300

Hello,

I would not do that.

The first thing, imo, would be to have these pages rewritten in scheme, Guile
scheme
I mean of course :), with the portion of the code that holds the content being
expressed using sxml, see below for examples. It is a real winner, drastically
reduce bugs/quirks and the maintenance time. Once done, all you need to do is
either
add news entries and run make, upload.

Two beautiful examples, imo:

        GNU Guix
                https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/

                Source code:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-artwork.git/tree/website

        GNU Guile
                https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/

                Source code:
                http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guile/guile-web.git

The author of these two is

        Luis Felipe López Acevedo
        http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/

        on his page there is a texinfo css you may want to look at as well

Maybe Luis would be happy to participate to the design, I really don't know but
it
would not cost anything to ask him ...

Another example, cool too but not as beautiful (because I wrote them :) and
couldn't
count on the help of a designer and css expert, so nice but a bit 'old
fashioned'
as well):

        GNU Foliot

                http://www.gnu.org/software/foliot/

        I did not upload the source codeyet, but it is gpl as well.

Cheers,
David.