How to control the placement of symbols (in \mark \markup)?

From: Mojca Miklavec
Subject: How to control the placement of symbols (in \mark \markup)?
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 08:31:09 +0200

I'm "misusing" scripts.upbow and scripts.downbow to mark the change of
playing direction (for accordion).

In contrast to the "intended use" where it is used for marking a
single pitch, I want to put this sign as the first thing after the bar
(or potentially anywhere later between the pitches).

I found the syntax in an old post on this mailing list.

But here's an example that demonstrates the problem:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.19.44"

<<
  \new Lyrics = "topLyricsII" \with {
    \override VerticalAxisGroup.staff-affinity = #DOWN
  }
  \new Lyrics = "topLyricsI" \with {
    \override VerticalAxisGroup.staff-affinity = #DOWN
  }
  \new Voice = "melody" \fixed c'
  {
    \mark \markup{ \musicglyph #"scripts.upbow" }
    a a a a
    % How to put this markup lower?
    \mark \markup{ \musicglyph #"scripts.downbow" }
    a a
    \mark \markup{ \musicglyph #"scripts.upbow" }
    a a
  }
  \context Lyrics = "topLyricsI" {
    \lyricsto "melody" {
      A A A A A A A A
  \context Lyrics = "topLyricsII" {
    \lyricsto "melody" {
      tra -- la -- la -- la tra -- la -- la -- la

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

1. The first "upbow" is too far to the left. I want it after "C".

2. The second and third are too far on top. I would want then at the
same height as the first one. I wouldn't mind if the scores would get
wider to get enough space to place that markup between the lyrics
(ideal) or if the melody would be placed higher (less than ideal), but
it's not acceptable to have it so far on top where it's impossible to
see basically "invisible". I also want to have it printed below the
horizontal line for
    \repeat volta 2 {} \alternative {{} {}}

(I'm currently misusing lyrics to place button names on top of scores.
I still believe that there should be a better mechanism to do that,
but at the moment I have to live with what I have.)

Thank you,
    Mojca