Re: Strings as variable names

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Strings as variable names
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 18:49:30 +0100

David Sumbler <address@hidden> writes:

>> > From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
>> > To: Andrew Bernard <address@hidden>
>> > Cc: address@hidden
>> > Subject: Re: Strings as variable names
>> > Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 12:51:51 +0100

>> > After
>> >
>> >     xxx = ...
>> >
>> > you can refer to \xxx.  And
>> >
>> > "xxx" = ...
>> >
>> > has always been allowed for arbitrary strings.

>> > It's not really making stuff more readable.
>
> I think it would be useful to have it added to the NR.
>
> I have always been frustrated by the fact that I can't (or thought I
> couldn't) use underscores in variable names,

Well, that is hopefully more or less documented though probably not
everywhere.

> and also that numbers are not allowed.

But really, \"violin1" is so much more ugly than \violinI or if you must
\violin_I.

> Using the syntax with quotes is rather ugly, I agree.  But it is
> nonetheless potentially useful for two reasons:
> (1) it enables us to use numbers etc. in variable names

Why would that be desirable?

> (2) the quotes help to distinguish our own defined variables from
> Lilypond's own.

Absolutely not.  The quote marks don't become part of the variables or
identifiers.  \bing is absolutely identical to \"bing".

Reading people's ideas about those things make them appear like
something we would be better without.  They only lead to confusion.

--
David Kastrup