Re: Strings as variable names

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Strings as variable names
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 19:20:28 +0100

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 28.12.2015 um 18:49 schrieb David Kastrup:
>>> Using the syntax with quotes is rather ugly, I agree.  But it is
>> Why would that be desirable?
>>

> Whenever you have variables pointing to indexed parts or to consecutive
> snippets you may want to use variables like
>
> violin1 =
> violin2 =

What's wrong with violinI ?

> or
>
> flute_phrase01 =
> flute_phrase02 =
>
> or similar.

When would you ever want to do that?

> This is expressive as LilyPond code per se, and would be accessible
> for scripting, e.g. to generate stub files with empty varialbes.

Why would violinI not be accessible for scripting?

That's just (format #f "address@hidden" 1).

> The workaround using roman numbers is pretty cumbersome,

What's this with "workaround" anyway?  I have more scores using
"ViolinĀ I" and "ViolinĀ II" for their parts than otherwise.

Here are the instrument names of literally the first score I found on my
desktop:

PNG image

> and I think
>
> violin_02_34 would be much more comprehensible to most users than
> violinIIxxxiv

34 separate second violins seem a bit excessive.

--
David Kastrup