Re: Repeats - Strange behavior??

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: Repeats - Strange behavior??
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 11:00:31 +0100

>>>    \repeat unfold 3 {c d e f} \bar "||" \break
>>
>> use \bar ".|:-||" instead, see NR ;)
>
> Why shouldn't it be changed to work like the 99% would like?

Hi,

I think there are a few things to explain here:

Even if there is a break at this point and the bar line is printed twice (at the
end of the line and at the beginning), it is only one point in time and for
Lilypond it is only one object. This means it can not be set to be just "||"
because at the end of the line you want the repeat sign, still.

So it is one object that can have a different look in different positions: at
the end, in the middle or in the beginning of a line and between staves for
barlines spanning the whole score.

I like the changes to the bar line handling, that the single characters (.|:…)
are more consistently associated with components of the bar line (like thin and
thick lines). However, the discussions on this list show that the additional
names introduced with `-` are not intuitive enough. If I understand them
correctly this: ".|:-||" means: it is a kind of repeat bar line `.|:` with
another name `-||` which probably has something to do with a double bar line
`||`. The complete definition is: ".|:-||" "||" ".|:" ".|", which means:
 - a name to call this: ".|:-||"
   (the first part before `-` is the normal sign in the middle of a line)
 - the symbol at the end of the line (double bar line): "||"
 - the symbol at beginning (normal sign): ".|:"
 - the symbol between staves (no double dots needed): ".|"
I wrote this to show: every character in ".|:-||" has a meaning and this is
consistently done so in the LilyPond bar lines, thanks to some nice work some
months ago.

What I find a bit confusing is that a \bar command does not override a repeat
bar line. I would have expected a double bar line to be shown whenever I write
\bar "||". But the repeat sign seams to be stronger. If the \bar was stronger,
the user would realise more quickly that these bar lines around the break are
one object and that he needs a special command combining two symbols at one
point in time.

tl;dr: The main point in understanding this issue is that it's not two but only
one bar line even if it is split across a line break. There may be more
intuitive solutions but just overwriting it with \bar "||" can not work.

Cheers,
Joram