Re: Repeats - Strange behavior??

From: Cynthia Karl
Subject: Re: Repeats - Strange behavior??
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 20:30:24 -0600

> Message: 6
> Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 00:02:13 +0100
> From: Thomas Morley <address@hidden>
> To: Chris Trahan <address@hidden>
> Cc: LilyPond User Group <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Repeats - Strange behavior??

>> I have two examples in the following code.
>>
>> The fist one shows a repeated section starting at measure 4.
>>
>> The second shows the same code, except that a double bar ends measure 3.  In
>> this case, the repeated section is not correct.
>>
>> Is this a bug or by design?
>
> Hi,
>
> it's hardcoded in repeat-acknowledge-engraver.cc not to set the
> 'which-bar-property (i.e. the opening repeat-sign, taken from the
> relevant context-property), if the user sets an own 'which-bar, i.e.
> in this case: \bar "||"
>
> So it's by design prefering the users choice ;)

Das ist Quatsch!  The user simply wanted the section of music before the
repeated section to end with a double bar.  He didn't want the opening
repeat-sign  to be suppressed.  :(

>> \version "2.18.2"
>

>> \score {
>>  \relative c'' {
>>    %% When a double bar is added, the repeat is not correct.
>>    \repeat unfold 3 {c d e f} \bar "||" \break
>
> use \bar ".|:-||" instead, see NR ;)

Why shouldn't it be changed to work like the 99% would like?  Let those who
want the current behavior use, say, \bar "~://?" to indicate that they don't
want the usual opening repeat-sign to appear.  The others don't want to delve
into the arcana of the various bar signs.  They just want the section before a
repeat section to end with a double-bar.