Re: Survey: Git (G)UIs

From: Johan Vromans
Subject: Re: Survey: Git (G)UIs
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 17:36:33 +0100

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> I'd like to make a survey on how you are working with Git.
> Do you use the command line exclusively, or a GUI (which one(s))?
> Or a GUI for certain tasks and the command line for others?

For ordinary day work:

  - command line (init, pull/push, commits, branch handling)
  - emacs (status, commit)
  - gitk (overview, cherrypicking, tags)

Anything beyond ordinary day work: command line (branch manipulation,
stashes, rebase, dealing with patches, import CVS repos, logs, reports,
...)

I have no experience with git-gui.

> I'd be particularly interested in reports of successful or failed
> attempts to learn Git by starting with a GUI tool. I have a strong
> opinion that one should use the command line until one has a good
> understanding of the concepts,

Yes, I can second this. E.g.,
https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/everyday.html.

-- Johan