Re: survey on multiple development versions

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: survey on multiple development versions
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 11:26:04 -0500

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 11:00:02 -0500
Carl Peterson <address@hidden> wrote:

> This, to me, sounds like a "plug-in" solution is needed, at least for
> things that do not involve changing the C++ code (and maybe even
> then).

I would hate the situation when I download a source for a piece of music
and find that it requires a obscure plugin that was written for an old
version of Lilypond ten years ago and never updated since then.

The lifespan of music is much longer than the lifespan of Lilypond
versions.  We should try to keep Lilypond scores maintainable for years
and maybe decades from now.  Plugins can create problems.

I'm not against plugins, it's just something to think about.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin