Re: promoting LilyPond

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: promoting LilyPond
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2013 11:58:23 +0100

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 04.12.2013 11:18, schrieb David Kastrup:
>> We're not there yet.  LilyPond is more a humongous blob of an
>> application rather than a music typesetting_platform_, like Emacs is an
>> easily extended editing platform.
>>

> Of course this would be a beautiful idea. And it's of course very good
> to work into that direction as we (and particularly you) do.
> But would you really think it is possible (actually, not
> theroretically) to reach such a state? Maybe "Framework" would be a
> nice label too.

Oh, it's not a realistic goal to set.  It never was a goal for Emacs to
become a "platform".  It's just more or less a consequence if you have
to serve a lot of different and possibly temporary interests very well
while trying to keep the code base from becoming unmaintainable.

"Platform" basically implies that the code base needs to get divided
along similar lines as the interest of the community and the various
applications.

The alternatives are staying single-purpose (where "single" is not
literal but implies a small number), or becoming unmaintainable.

We'll see where LilyPond will end up.  But it's not really a goal you
can set yourself, it's more or less _how_ you go about reaching the
goals that you actually _do_ set yourself.

--
David Kastrup