Re: New, more powerful version of \shape!

From: SoundsFromSound
Subject: Re: New, more powerful version of \shape!
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 15:52:54 -0700 (PDT)

Janek & David N:

Fantastic effort and a solid expansion idea for how to make a great function
even better.

I can't speak to how this new version of \shape will fit into the LilyPond
language/code (i.e. if it will break or harm anything by adding it), but
from an end-user standpoint I think this would be excellent; I'd say
continue developing for sure. Very powerful addition from the looks of it.

I'd be happy to contribute if that would help its progress.

Ben

Janek Warchoł wrote
> Hi all,
>
> \shape is an awesome function, indispensable for creating
> publication-quality slurs. However, after using it 1107 times in a
> recent project (this number is not a joke!), i came to the conclusion
> that it's not perfect yet and it could use some improvements ;-)
>
> After several days of work i'm proud to present:
> - ability to use input shorthands when specifying offsets with \shape,
> - a version of \shape using polar coordinates.
>
> You can see the code in the attachment, and the output here:
> http://lilypond-stuff.1065243.n5.nabble.com/file/n5705619/shapeII-example.pdf
> http://lilypond-stuff.1065243.n5.nabble.com/file/n5705619/shape-polar-example.pdf
>
> I'd like to hear your opinions.  Do you like it?  Should it be added
> to official LilyPond distribution?
>
> I've tested these changes myself and after a few dozen corrected slurs
> i can say that they work well, although there is still room for
> improvement - in particular, i could add more "modes" of specifying
> control-points position (in addition to plain offsets and polar
> coordinates), and merge everything into one function that would allow
> to easily choose a different "mode" for each control-point.  And, of
> course, write some great documentation :-)
>
> I'd love to continue working on this, but i've run out of spare time
> :-(  Would anyone want to sponsor further development?  Depending on
> the amount of desired features, it would take 1-3 days of work, and
> would cost $40-$120 (I'd also like to share the money with David
> Nalesnik, who created the function in the first place and helped me
> with these improvements).
>
> best,
> Janek

> polar-shape.ly (18K)