Re: New, more powerful version of \shape!

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: New, more powerful version of \shape!
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 19:44:34 +0200

Hi Kieren,

2013/10/18 Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden>:
> Hi Janek,
>
>> Could you send me a few examples of the old behavior (lilypond code,
>> lilypond output, documentation) so that i could quickly estimate the
>> difficulty of the task?
>
> Unfortunately, the docs and download archive only goes back to v2.6, and I'm
> pretty sure we lost Slur #'attachment in v2.4.2, if not earlier.

Old documentation is still available in our git repository - a quick
trip 9 years back in time gave me the appropriate section on slurs;
however, there's not much there beyond what you already told me.

> Here's a search of the list (showing others who feel/felt the same way as I
> did when the feature was withdrawn):
> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=slur+attachment&submit=Search!&idxname=lilypond-user&max=20&result=normal&sort=score>
>
> The old behaviour was, for example,
>
>     \override Slur #'attachment = #'(head . stem)
>
> to force the slur to go from the [left-hand] notehead to the [right-hand]
> stem tip.
>
> In a new implementation it could, I suppose, simply calculate the
> corresponding positions and modify Slur.positions accordingly. In any case, a
> setting like this would save a huge amount of manual effort and trial&error.
>
> BONUS: I would love for something like the following: "stem" is a constant
> -1, "head" is a constant +1, so one could use
>
>      \override Slur #'attachment = #'(L . R)
>
> where L and R are numbers representing the position ***relative to 0, which
> is the center of the stem***.
>
> Does all that make sense?

Yes.  I've looked at the code and i think that i'll be able to do this :-)
I'll start on Monday.  I'll publish my progress in branch shape-update
of openlilylib/snippets repository:
https://github.com/openlilylib/snippets/tree/shape-update

BTW, is this you https://github.com/kierenmacmillan ?

best,