Re: Lyrics to hymn - new user

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: Lyrics to hymn - new user
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 21:44:32 -0400

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 3:03 PM, Garrett McGilvray <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Carl,

I am so very grateful for your help. I have taken some time to study your answer and do some practicing. I'm sorry to say that I'm still stuck. Where I am getting confused is how to make a partial line (such as a note here or there in the Voice "altoVerse") come in and out next to a continuous running line (as the mixed soprano/alto Voice "sopVerse"). Here's what I tried that I thought made sense, although it also seemed like doing it the hard way. In any case, it did not work:

Then I tried to plug in my variable to a score block after your model, but I didn't have any luck. I figure somehow I'm not using the variable right. Do you have a hymn you have done that you wouldn't mind sending the file so I could study it? Or perhaps the hacked version is different so it wouldn't work on my end?

The hacked version allows me to define the individual part lines and then throw then together with an automatic part combiner and some hidden voices to allow for associating the lyrics voices. The only thing the hacked version does is make sure the part combining is done "correctly," as is typically seen in _Praise for the Lord_ and a few other related hymnals.

To your specific issue, what you would do is use skips to get the notes where they need to be. For instance, if you were to define variables outside the score block for the parts,

sopVerse = { <c' g'>4 <c' f'> <c' e'> \stemUp d' c'2 \stemNeutral <c' g'> }
altoVerse = { \stemDown s2. c'4 c'2 s2 }

This would have three beats chorded, then two sets of notes separated, then the last stack chorded.

> P.S.: nice scan from Wiegand's _Praise for the Lord_

Good catch! So was that a Google search or are you familiar with that hymnal? I was really excited that you recognized it. I think it's my favorite of the current hymnals.

It's in my collection, along with Howard's _Songs of Faith and Praise_ (which I'm not a huge fan of) and a few other current "Church of Christ" hymnals. That it used shaped notes caught my attention. From there, the lyric font was a dead giveaway. I agree that PFTL is a quality collection. I've only used it in worship a couple of times while visiting other congregations.

Thanks again for your kind help.

np