Re: Cropped output (à la -dpreview) possible in Finale and Sibelius

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Cropped output (à la -dpreview) possible in Finale and Sibelius
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 20:58:37 +0200

On 04/09/2013 08:47 PM, Alexander Kobel wrote:
[...]
Besides, rectangles bound /regions,/ and I see a valid point in not
willfully changing regions or areas. For lines, it's slightly more
likely that the designer intended the object to be a line than for
rectangles.  [...]

By the way: I stumbled across a similar problem some time ago, when I wanted to produce a grid similar to a squared paper in LaTeX, to fill empty space on exam sheets for our students.

My intention was to have line strokes /just enough/ for the printer or screen resolution. Basically, 1 pixel, whatever that means for the device. And, if feasible, every now and then a thicker stroke, say, 3 times this unit. If there is any option to specify this, I could not find it. Don't know whether I just missed the proper LaTeX hack, or if it's beyond LaTeX and you have to do it in raw PS or PDF. In the end, I resorted to trial-and-error, with some sheets where the line was too thin and interrupted on the printout, and some where the line was too thick. And after printing the first 100 or so of the exams, the printer committed suicide and I had to recalibrate the thickness for another printer. Bah.
So, if anyone knows a solution to this: I'd be grateful.

Best,
Alexander