Re: RemoveEmptyStaffContext and merge rests snippet not co-operating

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: RemoveEmptyStaffContext and merge rests snippet not co-operating
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 18:53:25 +0200

2012/9/16 Frank Steinmetzger <address@hidden>:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 01:17:35AM -0700, eluze wrote:
>>
>> Frank Steinmetzger wrote
>> >

>> > While the empty staves get removed as expected, using this feature breaks
>> > the
>> > merge-rests code -- I get two rests above each other.
>> >

>> for me it works - can you provide an example?
>
> OK, finally I found the time to deal with this.  I found out that among the
> things that \RemoveEmptyStaffContext changes are the settings that merge
> rests.
>
> I attached a mini-example to demonstrate.  In my normal setup I have a global
> include file which pre-defines some layout stuff.  It has a layout block
> which,
> to enable merging of rests, contains:
>
> \context {
>   \Staff
>   \override RestCollision #'positioning-done = #merge-rests-on-positioning
>   \override MultiMeasureRest #'Y-offset =
> #merge-multi-measure-rests-on-Y-offset
> }
>
> I simulated this in my attached example by having a \layout block at the top
> of the file.  The result is that, as soon as I add \RemoveEmptyStaffContext to
> the score, the rests are no longer merged.  I need to repeat the code from the
> global \layout block in the score's \layout (*below*
> \RemoveEmptyStaffContext).
> --
> Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
> Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.

+1

> They say memory is the second thing to go.  I forgot what the first thing was.

lol

Hi Frank,

\RemoveEmptyStaffContext is deprecated and you will not find any entry
about it in the NR of "2.14.2".
Well, for reasons of compatibility you'll find the old definitions in
engraver-init.ly, so I wonder why it doesn't work.

But if you switch to the new syntax:
\layout {
  \context {
    \Staff \RemoveEmptyStaves
it _will_ work.

Attached mwe-rev.ly only. 336.ily isn't changed.

HTH,
  Harm