Re: midi for orchestral scores

From: Ralf Mattes
Subject: Re: midi for orchestral scores
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 18:27:04 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 19:46:59 +0200, Nils wrote:

> Yes. 16 sounds because we have 16 channels max.

No. Channels (as the name implies) are a way to address more than one
sound over a communication channel (used to be a serial cable). Think
of bus architecture. But the OP doesn't need to use cables (who does
these days?). With a decent player you can assign a different sound
to each track (actually you _could_ use up to 16 simultaneous addressable
sounds per track).

> And you can double two
> horns on one channel but you can't pan one to the left and one to the
> right. So in the end its 16 instruments + tricks like sharing one
> instrument patch for all strings.

You can do all this _per track_ ....

> If you want more you need a midi wrapper/syncer (sequencer software or
> player with its own protocol).

How do you distinct a "player" from a "sequencer"?

Cheers, RalfD