Re: midi for orchestral scores

From: Shevek
Subject: Re: midi for orchestral scores
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 15:58:04 -0700 (PDT)

R. Mattes wrote:

>> Yes, we have at least three ways of writing midi files now.  There are
>> at least two theoretical ways of setting many more instruments than 16
>> and we support two (using ports and instrument per track, ignoring
>> channel); but as far as I know there are no midi players that handle
>> those.
>
> Both seq24 and qtractor open such files without any problems.

As I see it, the primary issue here from a user's perspective is that
lilypond presents us with a choice between playback limited to 16 channels
and going all the way to the other extreme and learning to use complicated
sequencer software just to get all the instruments to sound. I don't need
fancy software instruments or to tweak the MIDI events lists or anything
like that that the pros use sequencer software for. All I want is to be able
to route MIDI channels 17-32 to a second MIDI port so that I can get General
MIDI playback of all the instruments. If I'm not mistaken, that sort of port
routing is possible in a single MIDI file, and is readable to standard MIDI
players such as timidity, pmidi and fluidsynth.