RE: transcribe notes

From: Philip Thomas
Subject: RE: transcribe notes
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 22:47:54 +0200

wrote:

>> I remember finding some gaps in the Cheat Sheet as a new user. Might
>> it be worth reviewing to see whether it could be expanded and improved
>> without over-burdening it with detail?

>On 12 June 2012, at 21:58, James <address@hidden> wrote:

>http://www.edition-kainhofer.com/en/lilypond/details/2111/lilypond-cheatshe
et.html

Thanks, James.

I wasn't aware of this product, and I have no reason to think that it's
anything other than a good one. Just a few observations:

-- A cheatsheet is already part of LilyPond's own documentation, and that
seems proper to me. It's a tool for people who use LilyPond, particularly
new users wanting to learn basic stuff. It should, if it's a useful tool,
ideally be maintained and improved over time as part of LilyPond's own
documentation.

-- Such a cheatsheet ought to be available in electronic form, as well as
being printer-friendly, to enable users to copy code for slightly less basic
operations (assuming it is expanded in that direction), and to enable users
to follow links (e.g. to common templates).

-- The Kainhofer cheatsheet costs money (albeit not much money), but
LilyPond and all its documentation, as we all know and greatly appreciate,
comes free.

Cheers, Philip