Re: Forced Tie between non-equal notes?

From: bruys .
Subject: Re: Forced Tie between non-equal notes?
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 20:05:49 +1000

Dear Nils,

A Google search for ''ties Lilypond enharmonic" shows that this topic has come up a number of times in the past.
Even though ties between enharmonic notes are sometimes used by composers, and that an example is given in Gardner Read's book, the answer seems to be that, for Lilypond, a tie must go between two notes placed on the same vertical height on the staff.

But, no matter, a slur is virtually the same thing as a tie except that it is usually placed further away from the noteheads. But you can tweak the shape of a slur, using a similar method to that shown in the recent correspondence concerning my question about divided ties.

A tie between enharmonic notes is often going to have to contend with accidentals, so its shape may be a bit awkward, anyway. In vocal writing, a tiny cue note is preferable.

The following example shows ties, slurs, and the cue note method.

Regards,
Bruys

\version "2.12.3"
% enharmonic ties

\score {
  {  ces''2 ~  ces''2
     ces''2(   b'2)
     <<
     {  ces''2(   ces''2)
     }
     \\
     { s2.
       \once \override Stem #'transparent = ##t
       \once \override  NoteHead #'font-size = #-3  % nb \tweak does
                                                    % not work here
       \parenthesize b'4
     }

     \oneVoice