Re: Is pagination quadratic?

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Is pagination quadratic?
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 11:14:38 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Austin" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:47 AM

On 11 April 2011 18:13, Valentin Villenave <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 7:49 PM, Victor Eijkhout <address@hidden> wrote:
So now I have this exercise study that generates close to 2000 scales like "\relative c { a b c d e f g a g f e d c b a}". And "finding the ideal number of pages" takes an ungodly amount of time. Minutes. Probably over 10.

That's to be expected: page-breaking is *the* most time-consuming
process in LilyPond. Using
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/minimal-page-breaking
should be fine and harmless in this specific case.

(On an unrelated note, I recently found that refreshing large PDF
documents takes forever when point-and-click is enabled.)

Is it possible to switch of pagination completely, and rely on manual
breaks? To put this in context, I'm compling a book of folk tunes.
These tend to be 2-4 (very rarely more) lines long. I'd like them in
alphabetical order, but with individual tunes not split over pages,
and wouldn't mind a layout rather more cramped than Lilypond usually
likes. As it is, even with minimal page breaking, I end up shuffling
tunes around to improve the layout

--
Mark Austin

This prevents page breaking. I assume it stops the calculation, but can't be sure:

\override NonMusicalPaperColumn #'page-break-permission = ##f"

--
Phil Holmes