Re: Self-Publishing

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Self-Publishing
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 12:37:14 -0400

    Pete> The upshot -- well, so far -- is that *if* I buy the printer,
    Pete> it will be a refurbished HP LaserJet 5000.  Am sniffing out
    Pete> reputable vendors.

I would recommend against this.  I did that, after the kind of
exploration you did, and if you can pick it up on the third floor in
Cambridge, MA, USA, you can have it free.  I don't think the duplexer
ever worked more than a month at a time, and currently the fuser is
broken as well.  You can buy a duplexing laser printer for less than the
cost of a service call for the HP.

I've had to abandon the large-format idea, but my Brother HL5250DN works
better and more consistently than the HP5000 ever did.

    Pete> Simply -- I want my scores (PDF) available and known to be so by
    Pete> folks whose taste might incline them to be interested.  (Reckon
    Pete> it's the "known to be so" part that'll cost me....)

    Pete> I would love to hear your favorite thoughts on this topic.

I'm currently using Lulu for printing my stuff for other people
<http://stores.lulu.com/laymusic>, and I have my own site
<http://www.SerpentPublications.org> for free distribution.  If I were
starting from scratch now, I might use WIMA, but uploading as much stuff
as I have at the moment would be a major task, and I like that I can
just say "make upload" when I fix something.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about why I ended up with
the decisions I did.

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden, twitter: @serpentplayer)
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

I have finally taught Dean that he can do anything he wants, become
mayor of Denver, marry a millionairess, or become the greatest poet
since Rimbaud. But he keeps rushing out to see the midget auto
races. I go with him.

Jack Kerouac, _On the Road_