Re: Self-Publishing

From: PMA
Subject: Re: Self-Publishing
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 14:05:05 -0400

Thanks to all for your generous feedback!

I think I've been, though old enough to know better, pretty naive about this.
I've never realistically intended to make -- to try making -- money with my
music, or even to print it en masse.

So, what am I doing trying to be a print shop?  Why not simply take my
LilyPond-output PDF files (publication-ready, after all) *to* a print-shop?!

Reckon I needed your good sense for a nudge.
Thanks again.

Pete

Éditions IN NOMINE wrote:
Hi.

I'd like to give you my testymony as a publisher : if you want to
publish and sell as a professional, I have to say that printing is a
REAL job. I mean it takes time, and you won't have a proper score at the
end without professional printers (machine AND guys). I made this choice
a year ago : I've found a printer next to me (a musician !) and I must
admit I spend a lot of time with him to get the best final product
before printing the whole stock. With a final cost below Lulu & Co ! (I
can make as many tests as I want before production, and that saves me
many times !)

Another thing : try to calculate the time you will spend to print your
score on the base of N buyers. You'll spend a LOT of time for this and
it will not be, sadly, of the same quality of a professional printer.

Well, I mean, don't hink that working with a pro will be so much money !

Best regards.
JMarc

Han-Wen Nienhuys a écrit :
On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Laura Conrad <address@hidden>