Re: Trouble Understanding VerticalAxisGroup - advice needed please

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Trouble Understanding VerticalAxisGroup - advice needed please
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 11:31:43 +0100

On 27 February 2011 21:29, James Lowe <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to fathom how to reduce the between space two grouped
> staffs. I'm obviously not understanding the Notation Reference as I have
> tried a variety of places where I have pasted what I think is the correct
> settings but nothing seems to change the defaults.
>
> My construction is as follows.
>
> [...]
>
> This all engraves fine. But I have a lot of white space between the two
> RhythmicStaffs that are grouped together that I'd like to reduce.

IIUC you want to reduce the space between _systems_ (your system
consisting in two  RhythmicStaff  here).
Then I'd suggest to reduce the values of  basic-distance
(but also  stretchability  and possibly  minimum-distance ) of
"system-system-spacing".

% reminder: default values
\paper {
  system-system-spacing =
    #'((basic-distance . 12)
       (minimum-distance . 8)
       (padding . 1)
       (stretchability . 60))
}

As explained in NR 4.1.4 Flexible vertical spacing \paper variables
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/flexible-vertical-spacing-_005cpaper-variables.html

Cheers,
Xavier

--