Re: Trouble Understanding VerticalAxisGroup - advice needed please

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Trouble Understanding VerticalAxisGroup - advice needed please
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 23:26:16 -0000

James

I'll restate the tiny example here again this tim e with the full \with
statement implemented.

The closing bracket on the \with is misplaced.  That's why
it's better to post an example that demonstrates the
problem, as your last post does.

Here's the correction:

MusicA = { a b c d }
MusicB = { a b c d }
MusicC = { a b c d }

\score {
 <<
   \new RhythmicStaff \with {
     \override VerticalAxisGroup #'staff-staff-spacing =
     #'((basic-distance . 4)
        (minimum-distance . 4)
        (padding . -10))
     }  % here's where it should be
     <<
     \new Voice {
       \MusicA
     }
     \new Voice {
       \MusicB
     }

%    }  not here
   \new RhythmicStaff {
     \MusicC
    }

 \layout { }
}

Now as you can see the \with { has a closing } and I still get the
unexpected '}'

This is what I don't understand.

All the example shows in the NR is to add a '\with' between the existing \*Staff and the rest of the { } expression and put the \override after the
{. So the braces are already in place.

I haven't actually 'added' any new braces - again as per the example.

So what is the \with doing? Because if you remove the \with you don't get
any errors.

I've tried putting the closing brace in every conceivable place but I get
the unexpected '}' message.

?

James