Re: How to include a file just once?

From: Michael J. O'Donnell
Subject: Re: How to include a file just once?
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 14:07:19 -0600

I already separate notes from layout, since I want to layout the same
notes in chorus only, chorus with piano reduction, maybe others. But, I
also want to compile parts one at a time, as well as together.

Currently, I have

22-Behold_the_Lamb_of_God-chorus.ly
22-Behold_the_Lamb_of_God-music-words.ly
37-The_Lord_Gave_the_Word-chorus.ly
37-The_Lord_Gave_the_Word-music-words.ly
47-Behold_I_Tell_You_a_Mystery-chorus.ly
47-Behold_I_Tell_You_a_Mystery-music-words.ly
Too_Hot_to_Handel-chorus.ly
Too_Hot_to_Handel-style.ly

where each of the *-chorus.ly files \includes the *-style.ly file. All
notes and lyrics are in the *-music-words.ly files, and all layout in
the *-chorus.ly files, with globally used definitions and parameter
settings in Too_Hot_to_Handel-style.ly. Too_Hot_to_Handel-chorus.ly
includes each of the other *-chorus.ly files to put together the whole
thing (there are 10 more numbers to go, and the initial numbers come
from Handel's whole work, only part of which is in this arrangement).

Each indivdual number is a \bookpart.

I will add piano reductions, and any other parts I decide to set, to the
same *-music-words.ly files. Then, I will create things like
22-Behold_the_Lamb_of_God-chorus-piano.ly and
Too_Hot_to_Handel-chorus-piano.ly with appropriate layout.

There are plenty of good reasons to be able to produce individual
numbers without even compiling the whole thing, and plenty of good
reasons to avoid editing the files as much as possible when producing
different variations (i.e., just selecting the right top-level file, not
editing other files).

I could have a skeleton output producer for each number, similar to the
skeleton output producer for the whole collection. E.g.
22-Behold_the_Lamb_of_God-chorus-outputSkeleton.ly might contain only

\include "Too_Hot_to_Handel-style.ly"
\include "22-Behold_the_Lamb_of_God-chorus.ly"

but that is unnecessarily indirect.

Many other languages, including most programming languages, and also the
LaTeX typesetting system, have recognized the value of declaring in file
A that it requires file B, and automatically including B if it has not
already been included by another such requirement. There's a whole lot
of experience showing that this is the better way to go than multiplying
the skeleton files. I am confident that I could implement it as a Scheme
function in LilyPond, but I hope that someone has already done it.

Thanks,

Mike O'Donnell