Re: another route from MIDI to lilypond (from NtEd developer)

From: Joerg Anders
Subject: Re: another route from MIDI to lilypond (from NtEd developer)
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 09:00:56 +0200 (MESZ)

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009, Laura Conrad wrote:

First of all: All you want is solved in actual version (1.8.1) thanks
to appropriate requests even of members of this list.

separate pages or separate staves.  Even someone who was doing a piano
reduction wouldn't want the lilypond to notate them as chords, the way
nted does.

   Joerg> Which version of nted we are speaking about ?

1.4.17 as packaged on Ubuntu 9.4.

Yes, there was a problem because 1.4.17 collected MIDI tracks with the same
instrument and put it in one staff.

This (sometimes) makes sense because theoretically MIDI can place a
whole orchestra in one track (the staves of MIDI). Read about the
"sort instruments" button for a (hopefully) simple explanation:

  http://vsr.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/staff/jan/nted/doc/ch01s42.html

The current version has a "sort instruments" button which is switched
of by default. If you don't press this button NtEd should produce
at least as many staves as the MIDI file has tracks.

Sometimes it splits the tracks. The result are more staves than tracks.
But again there is a button (don't split tracks) to avoid this.

   >> The version I saved hadn't
   >> spelled the flats right, either, but I think I might have fixed that
   >> later.

   Joerg> Could you please tell us what is misspelled ? Is it really
   Joerg> the "bes" instead "Bb" ?

No, it's ais instead of bes.

1.8.1 says "bes" . And even if the MIDI file doesn't contain a Bb major
key signature. As soon as you change the key signature to Bb as described
at:

http://vsr.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/staff/jan/nted/doc/ch01s07.html#staff_props

NtEd moves the ais from 2nd gap to 3rd note line and changes the #
against b. And the LilyPond exporter calls this "bes".

Perhaps I'll introduce an "English" button which places an
'include "english.ly"' and uses the English note names.

--
J.Anders, GERMANY, TU Chemnitz, Fakultaet fuer Informatik