Re: another route from MIDI to lilypond (from NtEd developer)

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: another route from MIDI to lilypond (from NtEd developer)
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:11:22 -0400

    Joerg> Could you please tell us what is misspelled ? Is it really
    Joerg> the "bes" instead "Bb" ?
    >>
    >> No, it's ais instead of bes.
    >>

    Joerg> 1.8.1 says "bes" .

Not when I run it.

http://vsr.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/staff/jan/nted/doc/ch01s07.html#staff_props

    Joerg> NtEd moves the ais from 2nd gap to 3rd note line and changes the #
    Joerg> against b. And the LilyPond exporter calls this "bes".

Yes, but then I have to do that for each of the 5 staves.  And the
next MIDI file I look at has a key signature with no flats or sharps
(actually a D dorian, so there are lots of A#'s which should be Bb's).
So the workaround I've found is to change it to F major with the
"adjust notes" box checked, and then uncheck the "adjust notes" box
and change it back to C major. But doing this for each of the five
staves is starting to be more trouble than doing it in emacs.  After
all, what we really want is for midi2ly to "do the right thing" so
that we don't have to run a GUI for this purpose.

    Joerg> Perhaps I'll introduce an "English" button which places an
    Joerg> 'include "english.ly"' and uses the English note names.

That may be a good idea for some users, but I don't actually ever use
English note names.  Compared to all the other things I had to learn
to use lilypond, es and is were pretty easy.

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden)
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

After much pondering, I think I understand a basic reason why a glass
of something reviving is so welcome in the early evening.  Partly, of
course, it's just that, to revive, to relax, but it's also a
convenient way of becoming a slightly different person from your
daytime self, less methodical, less calculating -- however you put it,
somebody different, and the prospect of that has helped to make the
day tolerable.  And, conversely, it's not having that prospect that
makes the day look grim to the poor old ex-boozer, more than missing
the alcohol as such.  Changing for dinner used to be another way of
switching roles.  Coming home from work has a touch of the same
effect.

Writers haven't got that advantage -- when they finish work they're at
home already.  So perhaps they need that glass of gin extra badly.
Any excuse is better than none.

Kingsley Amis, _Every Day Drinking_