Re: Header title problem or convert-ly problem

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Header title problem or convert-ly problem
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 11:12:35 +0200

Trevor Daniels wrote:

maybe it should be added in the docs:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/user/lilypond-program-big-page#Updating-files-with-convert_002dly

I'll do that.  I'll also fix the documentation
to avoid misleading people in the Jay was misled.
My proposal is to change in http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/user/lilypond-program-big-page#Command-line-options-for-convert_002dly
so that the first examples show a concrete example like

convert-ly --from=2.10.5 --no-version *.itely

since it's far from obvious exactly what syntax to use for a flag like --from, unless you are used to working with GNU programs from the command line. (For example, it's not very intuitive that you cannot include a space like
convert-ly --from= 2.10.5
whereas it works perfectly well to use the syntax
convert-ly -f 2.10.5
as well as
convert-ly -f2.10.5

In this first example, I also do not see any reason to use the --to flag.
On the other hand, the second example could include both the --from and --to flags and again I propose to
include some concrete examples of version numbers.

However, these --from and --to flags should perhaps not be advertised too much, since they should almost never be needed by a normal user who has ordinary .ly files with a \version statement in them. You may want to move them to the end of the list of examples.

I also spotted an incomplete sentence the last line above 3.4.1 and I don't really understand what it should say. If you use the -e flag, the old version of the file will be saved with suffix .ly~, which should be explained either directly in 3.4 or in the documentation of the -e flag. is the .NEW suffix something that the MacOS menu command does, or is it just a misunderstanding that has made it into the documentation?

   /Mats