Re: Margins

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: Margins
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 17:37:36 +0200

2009/4/16 Anthony W. Youngman <address@hidden>:
>> This is only true if you could set a negative binding margin, and even
>> in this case you could encounter problems with the paper size.
>> Otherwise, how would you specify big outer margins for a book?
>
> Umm. I'd never met that. Bearing in mind other people have said the same
> thing, it seems to be a common enough requirement, though I can't see why.

See the literature on book design and you'll encounter this case very often.

> But to specify outer margins, I'd simply declare a binding margin but place
> it on the other side of the page.

With the current scheme of defining only leftmargin and textwidth,
would it be possible to have constant outer margins only by changing
the binding side? Remember that the design can be asymmetrical for
onesided pages, try to adapt it to twosided pages that way.

> and then
> if binding is on we swap the margins over for left hand pages.

If binging is on, we can still have an onesided book, so the fact that
binding exists does not indicate that even and odd pages have to be
different.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org