Re: Margins

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: Margins
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 22:54:18 +0100

In message <address@hidden>, Henning Plumeyer <address@hidden> writes
Am 15.04.2009, 19:56 Uhr, schrieb Anthony W. Youngman <address@hidden>:

In message <address@hidden>, Henning Plumeyer <address@hidden> writes
Am 14.04.2009, 18:32 Uhr, schrieb Mark Polesky <address@hidden>:
Francisco Vila wrote:

2009/4/11 Mark Austin :
> Is there any way of setting a binding
> margin... need to increase the left
> margin of odd-numbered pages, and the
> right margin of even numbered pages...

Could we say inner margin?

Please no.

AIUI, the proper technical term IS "binding margin". Let's not change it just to be different.

Ok, the introduced technical term should be used. Didn't know it is one.

Btw: What the word for the opposite margin?

I don't know there is one. Why should there be?

Just like a page has a top and bottom margin, and your usable area is usually what's left (but may lose some to a header and/or footer space), so from left to right you normally have left and right margin with usable area being what's left, you sometimes lose some of that to the binding margin.

I'll use American sizes for easy maths, but lets say you have a 1/2" binding margin, that leaves you with an 8" wide page. If you now have 1/2" left and right margins that leaves you with 7" of usable space. And you'd spec that as '1/2" left and right, and 1/2" binding margins'. That says everything that needs to be said.

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - address@hidden