significance of whitespace [WAS: LilyPond, Finale and Sibelius]

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: significance of whitespace [WAS: LilyPond, Finale and Sibelius]
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 14:23:26 +0200

Op zondag 05-04-2009 om 18:13 uur [tijdzone -0300], schreef Han-Wen
Nienhuys:

> as long as I have anything to do with LilyPond, I will veto changes
> like this that introduce inconsistent whitespace handling in the
> syntax.

What was the problem with this again?  It is not so much inconsistent
whitepace, it's the absence or presence of whitespace.  That's
quite a difference.  We have that already

   c 4 4 == c4 4  != c44  % first ws significance BAD, second GOOD?
    ^ ^

I'm quite certain there is a good argument for not not making such
changes--in fact I remember proposing this change about a decade
ago and you talking me out of it :-) --but I don't remember
the reason.

It would be good for the archives too: a good reason
may even hold it back should the veto ever fail ;-)

Jan.