Re: WANTED: Design for documentation (Photoshop power users!)

From: Kurt Kroon
Subject: Re: WANTED: Design for documentation (Photoshop power users!)
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 10:34:04 -0700

On 2008/10/07 4:41 PM, "Alexander Kobel" <address@hidden> wrote:

>> A List Apart explains how to implement this with cookies, but we would
>> rather not use JavaScript:

Cookies != JavaScript

True, it's very easy to fiddle with them if you're using JavaScript, but
they started as a server-side state-maintenance mechanism.  You can set and
read them without touching it at all.

> And yes, I'm against JavaScript, too. This doesn't count as a real
> client-side solution from my point of view.
>
> Simplest solution, server-sided, efficient and secure, but clearly not
> nice: Keep a version of the docs for each style in a different
> subdirectory, and switch accordingly. ;-)

Separate versions are not necessary: just offer the user an option to set
the preference in a persistent cookie, which the server creates and sends
back to the client.  Then, the next time the server reads it, it can parse
out the preferred style sheet and send it as "the" style sheet.

Best,
Kurt