Re: WANTED: Design for documentation (Photoshop power users!)

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: WANTED: Design for documentation (Photoshop power users!)
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 13:53:28 -0700

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 2:44 PM, Robin Bannister <address@hidden> wrote:
> Kurt Kroon wrote:
>
>> the CSS "quasi-frames" already provide the affordance of a fixed
>> navigation frame, so it isn't necessary to make their backgrounds
>> "matchy-matchy".
>
> I don't understand which background areas you are referring to. By
> "navigation bars" I was referring to the horizontal stripes where you can
> click to go up or along. These are embedded in the main pane; they move with
> it when you scroll.

IMO, the navigation bars should have a different background color than
the TOC background color.  This is just personal taste.  From a
usability perspective, I think the "matchy-matchy" case might be
*slightly* better, but I think the current use of a "headline" in the
TOC pane looks nice, and highlights the important "Back to
Documentation Index" link.

However, I believe this color should be lighter than the current grey,
but not so light as to render it indistinguishable from the pure white
background used for the main docs, as Reinhold pointed out.  I am
currently searching for a better color.

Thanks,
Patrick