Re: Lilypond & Ubuntu Help

From: Patrick Horgan
Subject: Re: Lilypond & Ubuntu Help
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 21:33:16 -0700

Jonathan Kulp wrote:
Ah. It never occurred to me to try to allow for anything but the standard "lilypond filename.ly" command. That's a good idea. I don't use anything but the standard command very often, though, so I won't lose any sleep over it. I *was* prepared to lose sleep over the fact that the output files weren't ending up in the right directory ;-) Glad to have figured that one out.
Instead of basename you could use the built in string manipulation stuff this:

# determines the source filename
srcfile=`basename $1`

# removes the extension from source filename
FILENOEXTENSION=${srcfile%.*}

# determines directory
OUTDIR="`dirname $1`"

It does the same thing as basename, but more generally. In particular is says to strip off of the end of a string a pattern. In this case our pattern is simple, just a period followed by anything.

Patrick