RE: Colliding fret-diagrams

From: Ed Ardzinski
Subject: RE: Colliding fret-diagrams
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 01:41:28 +0000

> > I wonder why fret-diagrams aren't treated more like note objects.
>
> No idea.> > I wonder why fret-diagrams aren't treated more like note objects.
>
> No idea.

IIRC, the fret diagrams are markups, so they are treated as simply text.

> > I'm sure there must be good reasons
>
> Don't be so sure! ;-)

LOL!  But considering how complex a process creating musical notation is, I find it amazing that LP does what it does.  As a programmer by day it's method fits well into my thought processes, and yes you have to kludge a few things to get what you want.

I read a lot of jazzers and rockers having issues getting where they need to be, but I think that's just a factor of rock and jazz being somewhat non-standard compared to chamber music or choral music.  It seems that LP is more "geared" to "Classical" music to some users, especially if they are (like me) coming from a more jazz/rock perspective, but I think that's really just because standard notation is more geared to "classical" music.  Sure, not being able to put guitar inflections in tab is a hinderence, but tab is itself a crappy notation format IMO.  The times where I've had a need to use tab I'd rather use it as an adjunct to standard notation - not enough rockers can read music and I feel it one of my crusades in life to try and change that! :-)

Personally, I create really nice lead sheets and piano scores very easily using LP, and I am grateful for this program for allowing me to unleash the creativity that was stuck in me for a quarter century.  And as an aside, the ability to create midi files based on what I write has opened up the ability to create great demos of the songs I write.  Sure it's work, but for the effort my band put in to create 2 original pieces, I have created another 8 with a lot less work, and have the scores to boot!

So when you think that it's "a lot of work" to cobb something in LP, just think of how hard it used to be when all we had was a pencil and some stave paper!

Local listings, incredible imagery, and driving directions - all in one place! Find it!