Re: setting systems per page in lilypond-book

From: Arvid Grøtting
Subject: Re: setting systems per page in lilypond-book
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 17:05:51 +0200

Laura Conrad <address@hidden> writes:

> I've been using the \betweenLilyPondSystem hack that Adam describes in
> a later post, and I agree that it's a pain.  But I doubt that anything
> else would be easy to implement.

A similar thread had suggestions not involving lilypond-book at all,
e.g. pdflatex with the pdfpages package.

lilypond-book works perfectly for small musical examples in a text
document, but less well for e.g. a song book where each song needs
its own page(s) anyway.

I still don't have the perfect setup for a song book -- I'm struggling
with what the perfect spacing, margins, font size etc should be -- but
for what I'm working on now (a song book for male choir), pdflatex
with pdfpages seems a better choice than lilypond-book at the moment.

So, the question is: What are you trying to achieve?

If you have your text and music on separate pages, like this:

+------+   +------+------+  +------+------+
|      |   | text |music1|  |music2|music2|
| text |   | text |music1|  |music2|music2|  ...
|      |   | text |music1|  |music2|music2|
+------+   +------+------+  +------+------+

...you may want to let Lilypond do the vertical spacing and insert the
PDFs you get from Lilypond into the larger document.  On the other
hand, if what you want is more like this:

+------+   +------+------+  +------+------+
|      |   | text |music1|  | text |music3|
| text |   | text | text |  |music3| text |  ...
|      |   |music1|music2|  |music3|music4|

...then lilypond-book will work perfectly.  (In the figures above,
"music1", "music2" etc are separate pieces/lilypond files.   Oh, and
you'll want to view them with a fixed-width font.)

(This doesn't answer the question you posed, though.)

--

Arvid