Re: Fixing a font size

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Re: Fixing a font size
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 08:24:13 -0700 (PDT)

Nevermind!  I figured out how to scale just the staff components separately
from the header components so now I can leave "#(set-global-staff-size 20)"
as a constant in all my songs, then override only the staff size to get the
music to flow/fit the paper below consistently-sized headings.  This way my
final book will have the same size headings on all pages, where only the
music will grow/shrink slightly to not cause page breaks on longer pieces,
nice.

Here is how to scale only the staff and still leave your headings
unaffected: (from a topic recently discussed here)  Also the "magstep"
function should be more-clearly explained in the manual, I still dont know
what it does really, but it works.

Also this technique is so fundamental to getting pages to look "right" that
I think it should be part of the beginners tutorial.

Heading flow/size should be separate from content flow/size, a beginner who
only is aware of
"set-global-staff-size" will be producing books that have "ransom note"
headings by default!  As they adjust the global size to get things to fit.

\include "english.ly"
#(set-global-staff-size 20)

\header {
        title = "My Dog Foo Foo"
}

\relative c'
<<
     \new Staff
     \with
     {
         fontSize = #-3
         \override StaffSymbol #'staff-space = #(magstep -3)
     }
     {
         \clef bass
         c8 c c c  c c c c