Re: Coexisting 2.8 with 2.4

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Coexisting 2.8 with 2.4
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 09:15:35 -0700

Fairchild wrote:
Finding a way to execute convert-ly took several hours of stumbling around.
Haven't succeeded from jEdit.  Expected to find an .exe file.  A way that
works is to invoke with a DOS shell from the directory that contains
convert-ly.py and python.exe (and/or python2.4.exe?).  Documented?

Kind-of. I made a few remarks at the beginning of chapter 15, but they should also be at the beginning of chapter 13.

Some details:
- Incorrectly changed a ">" to "}" in scheme code
- The command-line has changed from
       ("lilypond" "/cygdrive/C/ . . . /file.ly")
       ("C:\\lilypond\\usr\\bin\\lilypond-windows.exe" "file.ly")
       so must be analyzed differently to extract the file name.
       Difficult to convert, but ought to be flagged or documented.
- The string 'strftime "%T"' must be changed to 'strftime "%H:%M:%S"'.  The
shortcut doesn't work in 2.8.5.  LilyBug?

Automatically updating scheme code is difficult, and I don't think it's worth adding details of individual cases to the docs. I've added a warning about scheme code in general, though.

- \line isn't inserted where required.  Documented.  A biggie.

Could you let me know if there's anything that should be added to the list in 13.3 Updating with convert-ly ? (other than scheme code)

Cheers,
- Graham