Re: Lilypond missing note head files

From: Lambros Lambrou
Subject: Re: Lilypond missing note head files
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 13:20:13 +0000

Hi,

If it helps, I had this exact same problem when I tried to compile LilyPond from source.  The way I fixed it was to compile and install the latest stable versions of GPL Ghostscript (8.15) and mftrace (1.1.17).  Not exactly sure which of these two fixed the problem, probably mftrace, but it's certainly worth getting both of these up to date.

I don't recall having any trouble downloading and compiling these - the usual sequence of "./configure", "make", "make install" did the trick.

Best of luck,
Lambros Lambrou

Mats Bengtsson wrote:
It's certainly not a FAQ, I cannot recall having seen this very problem
before. However, you can get much more help from the mailing list if you
- Tell what operating system you use
- Tell how you installed LilyPond (from some precompiled package or by
  compiling it yourself)
- Include the output of lilypond --verbose test.ly

By the way, you should expect problems (but not the problems shown
below) if your gs version is too old.

   /Mats

Stephen Torri wrote:
I am setting up my computer to use lilypond. So far I have read the
overview of lilypond from the web site and got the stable version
(2.6.5) installed with only one warning. The warning was asking for gs
to be 8.0+ and I have 7.1.

Well I have a simple file I am using to start out:

        \version "2.6.0"
        melody = \relative c' {
            \clef treble
            \key c \major
            \time 4/4
                    d4 a e b
        }
                \score {
            \new Staff \melody
            \layout { }
            \midi { \tempo 4=60 }
        }

Yet when I tell lilypond to process it I get warnings like:

        address@hidden ~ $ lilypond test.ly
        GNU LilyPond 2.6.5
        Processing `test.ly'
        Parsing...
        Interpreting music... [1]
        Preprocessing graphical objects...
        test.ly:7:11: warning: note head `noteheads.s2' not found
            d4 a e
        programming error: Infinity or NaN encountered
        test.ly:7:9: warning: note head `noteheads.s2' not found
            d4 a
                 e b
        programming error: Infinity or NaN encountered
        test.ly:7:7: warning: note head `noteheads.s2' not found
            d4
               a e b

A search on google did not lead me to a page that told me how to fix
this warning. The resulting pdf has 4/4 on a sheet with the note lines
but no notes present. I am sure this is a silly new user problem so I am
open to advice or being pointed to a FAQ.

Stephen