Re: First line single staff, then double and some other beginner questio

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: First line single staff, then double and some other beginner questions
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 13:46:14 +0200

Hendrik Maryns wrote:
Hi,

After some experimenting a year ago, I started again now with Lilypond 2.6.0 becoming available on Windows (with an easy interface, congratulations!).

In trying to make my first piece, I'd like a first staff for the preamble (voorspel, what's it called?), then from the second line have two staves. I have this now with the following code, but the splitting up in two << >> contexts seems inappropiate.

Definitely! The easiest solution is to take a look at Section
"8.3.2 Hiding staves" in the manual and then figure out how you can
use this feature to get what you want. Hint: Start the second
stave with s1*4 \break

An alternative solution can be found if you browse through the examples
in the "Tips and Tricks" document.

> Also, now the \time
signature is ignored in the second and further staves. So how can I achieve this? By hiding the second stave on the first line, or adding a new stave only at a certain point or...

You mean the setting of Staff.TimeSignature #'style ?
The above solution solves half the problem. However, you may
want to read Section "9.1.5 Changing context default settings".

Some more questions: how to add Unicode in the title (I want ë. TeX-syntax \"e didn't work.)
See Section "8.1.5 Text encoding"

And I'd like a pianostaff-like brace in front of my staves, but adding \pianoStaff messes up the text and all.
Search for "brace" in the "LilyPond Index"

Also, can I suspend a {}-group and continue it later, or do I have to do the first voice in total, then the second. This is a copy of existing music, as you might have guessed, so that would be easier to type.

You might want to use identifiers, see Section "2.18 Organizing larger
pieces"

   /Mats