Re: midi2ly

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: midi2ly
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 12:21:58 +0200

My guess is that your real problem is a lack of understanding about the file system structure in Cygwin (which is the LINUX like system that you run when you use the Cygwin command prompt). When you start the Cygwin command prompt, you will be in your Cygwin home directory, which is the folder with your login name located below C:\cygwin\home\. So, you could either use that as your working directory, i.e. move your MIDI files there, or you could change working directory using the command 'cd'. The conventions are slightly different than usual Windows. For example, to move to the folder to C:\Documents and Settings\bubbag\Desktop\, you should
run the command
cd /cygdrive/c/Documents\ and\ Settings/bubbag/Desktop/

Having said all this, I can warn you that you probably will not find midi2ly that useful anyway, since a MIDI file only contains a small part of the information contained in a normal printed score and it also is tricky for a program to get the rhythm right unless the MIDI file was produced
by some other notation program.

  /Mats

  /Mats

address@hidden wrote:

I have just begun to use Lilypond, and I must say that the output I've gotten so far is truly beautiful. I cannot seem to import midi files with midi2ly. Can someone please explain the proceedure to me. I have tried many different combinations and continue to get error messages such: as file does not exist etc. I am running Winows Xp SP-2. I am certain that when I see how it's done that I will feel a little foolish.
Thanks in advance,
Pat Gainer

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.
As low as $9.95 a month -- Sign up today at http://isp.netscape.com/emreg